Growing up, many of us were taught that cockroaches and other insects are attracted to squalor. Today, we know this isn’t the case. Bugs want two things: shelter and water. If your home has those things, bugs want in, period – regardless of your property’s cleanliness. The difference between an infested home and a pest-free home usually comes down to accessibility and strategic pest control in Salem, OR.
When we say “accessibility,” what we mean is how easy it is for insects to get into your house. For example, if the weatherproofing around your windows and doors is in disrepair, bugs will probably use it as an easy access point. Your garage, attic, and siding are all common entrances for pests, especially during the cold winter months.
It’s also a good idea to check your kitchen and bathrooms for leaks. Even slow, occasional drips around your pipes can entice water-seeking insects. The same is true for drains.
Keep Your Property Free From Pests
Keeping a clean home will always be an essential part of discouraging pests from taking up residence. But if your clean home still attracts the occasional insect, don’t feel bad–it’s a normal part of life. All you need to do is check the access points we mentioned above and schedule regular pest control in Salem, OR, to fill in the gaps in your routine.
It may seem odd to find insects in your bathroom, but the reason is simpler than you think. Many people believe that insects enter their homes looking for food. That may be true, but in general, insects are more attracted to water sources! This means your kitchen and bathrooms are prime targets for pests, especially if you have leaky faucets.
Keeping Bugs Away Doesn’t Have to Be a Hassle
The good news is that keeping bugs out of your bathroom is very straightforward–for the most part. There are many steps you can take to discourage insects from taking up residence near your pipes or faucets, but it’s essential to know when you need help from a company that specializes in pest extermination in Salem, OR.
For example, if you’ve noticed ants or spiders in your bathroom, there’s no need to panic. These insects are common, and infestations can happen to just about any family. Just look around for leaks or sitting water, or put out some food traps.
On the other hand, cockroaches, though common, can be seriously difficult (and disgusting) to remove. Professional pest extermination in Salem, OR, is your best bet for these ugly invaders since they tend to lurk out of sight. As the saying goes, if you see one cockroach, there are likely many more hiding around.
When the weather turns cold, insects start looking for warm places to hide. In many cases, the closest option available is your property – that’s why autumn and winter tend to bring sudden infestations in Salem. Pest management is essential during this time of year. The good news is that there are several steps you can take to discourage spiders, cockroaches, and even mice from inviting themselves into your home.
Here Are Just a Few
- Ensure your home is airtight. The average home offers insects and pest animals many points of access. Make sure your house is sealed up before the weather turns seriously cold. Places to check include utility entrance points, plus weather stripping around windows and doors.
- Check for leaks around the house. Pests are attracted to warm locations with convenient water access. Look around your bathrooms and kitchen for leaks; even the slowest drip can appeal to insects and critters looking for resources during the cold winter months.
- Enlist the help of a professional. Extermination companies know what insects and critters love, and as a result, they offer valuable perspectives for winter pest prevention. A professional Salem pest management company can provide personalized advice for pest-proofing your home.
Finding a bug in your home is always unsettling, but there’s a reason people panic when they see a single bed bug. Why? Because where there’s one bed bug, there are sure to be dozens – or worse, hundreds – more. You’ll want a bed bug exterminator in Salem, OR, ASAP.
Bed bugs are among the most difficult household pests to eradicate. Spider, ant, and cockroach removal is generally a straightforward process; bed bugs, on the other hand, present a very different set of challenges for homeowners. This is because bed bugs employ many strategies to avoid detection. Not only that, they’re incredibly difficult to kill.
How Much Can Live These Bugs?
For one thing, bed bugs can live up to a year without feeding, so there’s no starving out these stubborn pests. Worse, they’re hide-and-seek champions, seeking out nooks and crannies in your home to lie in wait. Most discouraging of all, bed bugs are resistant to many consumer insecticides, making eradication next to impossible for the average family.
In summary, it’s easy to see why bed bug infestations call for a professional’s touch. Only a licensed bed bug exterminator in Salem, OR, has access to the powerful treatments needed to truly rid your property of these sly critters. Save your time, energy, and money by enlisting the help of a professional as soon as you see the first bed bug. You’ll be glad you did.
Having a rat in your home doesn’t just take its toll on your overall comfort, but it is also a big health risk. Rodents can spread disease, destroy cabinets and walls, contaminate food, and generally make your house a place you do not want to be.
Because they can breed quickly, it is important to notice any signs that you have a rodent in your home and then to call your rat exterminator in Salem, OR.
Some of the different signs to look for include
- Droppings – Rat droppings are a sure sign of a rodent intruder. Old droppings tend to be hard and crumby while new ones are shiny and putty-like in texture. Varying feces sizes can indicate an infestation as it shows that both adults and juveniles are present.
- Urine Odors –A rat’s urine has a strong, musky odor. If you are dealing with an infestation, this odor will be easy to smell.
- Gnawed Holes – A rat will typically gnaw holes that are about the size of a quarter. These holes feature rough torn edges.
- Rodent Runways – These runways are typically found along interior walls, ledges, electrical wires, building foundations, pipes, tree branches, conduits, and fence rails.
- Scampering Noises – Rats typically run around at night. You will most likely hear scratching and scampering sounds as they run inside walls and across floors.
- Unusual Pet Behavior – If you have a pet and they start to act unusual it might be because they smell or hear a rat in your house. This behavior can include appearing extremely alert, pawing at spaces beneath your appliances or furniture, or barking at walls.
As the warm summer days start to turn into crisp autumn nights, a number of pests in the Pacific Northwest begin to adjust to the change in weather by looking for new homes and places to feed. That means you are going to need to do your due diligence with your pest control in Salem, Oregon, if you are going to be successful in keeping your property free of these freeloading insects and rodents. Some of the most common pests that start to come out in fall include:
- Bed Bugs
- Stinging Insects
What to Do About These Fall Pests?
Want to minimize your risk of an infestation? The first step is to eliminate any standing water around your property and keep your grass trimmed. This helps to reduce the number of mosquitos and ticks that might turn your yard into their home.
The next step is to move any firewood away from your home and keep it elevated. This will keep the termites and ants at bay. Also, make sure that your home is properly sealed so that insects and other critters aren’t able to squeeze their way inside. Finally, make sure you are working with a trusted pest control company for routine maintenance.
Nothing can make your skin crawl quite like the thought of a pest invading your bedroom while you are trying to sleep. Whether it is a roach crawling across your arm and waking you up in the middle of the night or finding fresh insect bites all over you in the morning, you aren’t going to get a good night’s sleep if you are dealing with bedroom pests.
There are several different bedroom pests that can turn your place of rest into a living nightmare, don’t wait any longer and consider Salem pest management
Don’t overlook these types of pests
- Bed Bugs – The most common bedroom pest, bed bugs feed on humans while they sleep. They spread quickly throughout the home by catching rides on clothing, books, and other items.
- Fleas – Fleas can make it into your home through your clothing or pets. Once they make it inside, they will feed on any food source available to them, including you and your family.
- Ants – Ants are on a mission to find food. If you have crumbs or trash around your bedroom, then they will be drawn to it.
- Cockroaches – Roaches are also attracted to food and trash. They also tend to come in and hang out around water sources, which means bedrooms with an en suite are extra attractive to them.
- Spiders – Spiders tend to build webs in cluttered rooms, typically in the corners.
- Mice & Rats – Rodents typically go to food and water, but they are also inclined to find a warm and dark place to make their nest, which could lead them to dressers or closets.
Wood-destroying bugs in Woodburn, OR, are a significant threat to both homeowners and commercial property owners. These tiny pests – which include carpenter ants, beetles, and termites – invade your property silently and then proceed to eat away at the wood in your home undetected until it is too late. These devastating insects are the cause for more than $1 billion a year in property damage, which is why it is crucial to defend yourself against them.
So how do you know if you have a wood-destroying bug in your home? There are some subtle clues to look for, which change depending on the type of insect that has invaded your property. Take a look below for some
How to find out if you have pests
- Termites – Poke your wood floors with a screwdriver. If you notice that the tip goes in easily, or if you hear a hollow sound when you tap it, that means you will need to call a pest control agent to inspect your property.
- Carpenter Ants – Be on the lookout for “frass,” which is a mixture of fecal matter and wood shavings, around your floorboards. Additionally, during spring, it isn’t uncommon to see swarmers out and about.
- Carpenter Bees – These bees are likely to be found hovering around your deck, siding, or eaves.
- Powderpost Beetles – If you find powdery deposits of frass or pinhead-sized holes in your wood, then it is time to contact your pest control agent.
Termites come in a few types, and they are all very destructive. If you have them in your home, it’s likely you don’t care which type they are, and you want them gone. However, for information’s sake, we’ll let you know there are dry wood, subterranean, and damp wood termites. Regardless of what type you have, it would help if you had termite control in Salem, OR.
As the name suggests, damp wood termites prefer moist conditions and will flourish in wet and damp areas of your home and make a meal of wood in those areas.
How To Identify An Infestation?
- Wood that Sounds Hollow
- Cracked Paint on Wood
- Wood Floor Damage
- Sagging Wood Pieces
- Winged Insect Groups
- Mud Tubes on Walls
- Termite Droppings
Once you’ve established that there are termites, or that it’s another type of wood-destroying pest, you need to take corrective action right away. A professional exterminator company can eliminate the problem and use pesticides and other methods to prevent them from recurring in your home or business. As with any pest it pays to be vigilant and act immediately once you have suspicions or evidence.
What has eight legs and is covered with black hair? I don’t know, but it’s crawling up your arm!
If that children’s joke gives you the willies, then you’re not alone as fear of insects and spiders is very common. In fact, the fear of spiders is well known by its official name of arachnophobia.
If you’ve ever wondered why spiders creep us out, you’re in luck as our staff here at AAA Exterminators, Inc., has spent some time coming up with a few reasons they can pinpoint for this aversion.
How To Identify Them?
One of the first things is their very appearance. Spiders have a somewhat off-putting look due to their multiple legs and are furry or fuzzy, far removed from what most of us consider cute and cuddly.
Spiders are fast and can scurry quite quickly, which makes some people uneasy about how they can disappear by running off. “If they can run away that quickly, they can run towards us just as fast,” say those who hate spiders.
Spiders create sticky webs that make a mess and look creepy with trapped insects cocooned in them. If you’ve ever talked through a spider web, it’s likely that you didn’t find it a pleasant experience.
We could also talk about tales of spiders being discovered in grocery-store bananas or grapes or spiders being known to eat their mates, but let’s just say that if you have spiders in your home call an extermination company for Salem pest management.